Thursday, January 27, 2011

Example Reflection Paper: Baghdad Burning


Reflection Paper I

            Every night I fall asleep worrying about classes, softball, and what television shows that I might miss. Due to the fact that I live in the United States, I do not have to fear terrorist attacks or home raids on a regular basis; however, for Riverbend, the anonymous author of “Baghdad Burning,” is constantly anticipating a bombing, shooting, or a terrifying and deadly home invasion.

Americans are obviously still bitter about the terrorist attack on September 11, 2001. Many of us are probably still confused and ignorant with the events that took place on that sorrowful day. As an American, I picture the Iraqi people to be uneducated, poor, dirty, and honestly, crazy. Riverbend points out in her blog that our stereotypical view of Iraqi’s is indeed incorrect. Riverbend writes, “Iraqi’s lived in houses with running water and electricity. Thousands of them own computers. Millions own VCRs and VCDs” (Riverbend 34). One reason the United States is unfamiliar with the lives of Iraqi citizens is because of the national news broadcasters such as CNN, NBC, and FOX that fail to inform us on all the information. Usually the only news I hear about is a suicide bomb or something negative that the Iraqi people have done; however, Riverbend informs me that the American troops in Iraq are just as immoral and vicious. On April 28th, American troops had taken over a local school in Iraq and put on a demonstration for the students and their parents. A few disrespectful Iraqi children began throwing rocks at the troops and they decided to open fire on the entire crowd. Something like this is not broadcasted in the United States, leaving the citizens unaware of the merciless acts that the American troops conduct.
While reading Riverbend’s blog, the song “Have You Forgotten” by Darryl Worley kept coming to mind. I was surprised when she actually mentioned the song. Some of Riverbend’s comments throughout her blog were a tiny bit offensive which reminded me constantly of that song. The songs lyrics are, “Have you forgotten, when those towers fell, We had neighbors still inside goin’ through a livin’ hell, And you say we shouldn't worry ‘bout Bin Laden, Have you forgotten?” This song reminds me that the United States had no option but to fight back and gain what they had loss; however, Riverbend has a point when she explains the impact on her life after the events of 9/11. I do believe that that a person or a country should always fight back after being hurt or attacked, but the innocent citizens of Iraq who had no say in what happened on that day should not be penalized.
The entire situation is extremely difficult to understand and take sides. I believe that someone or some group of people had to be punished, but the innocent people such as Riverbend, should not have to undergo such a tragic and horrifying life. Overall from the reading, I learned that the United States is not completely aware of what happens overseas and that the Iraqi’s are not completely uneducated and illiterate. I learned that the Iraqi citizens do not necessarily hate us or the troops. The overall war is confusing; I enjoy reading the view of another person that is not American. This book will definitely open my eyes and transform me into a less hateful and biased person towards Iraq as a country.

No comments:

Post a Comment